Thursday, February 25, 2010

Missing Bits:The Ipad Iphone

I want to firmly state that since I purchased my 1st gen iphone I have been really happy with the phone. Easy to use, synchronize and operate. It has a great screen and it basically made me forget the pain of the shoebox full of old cell phones (now donated to charity) that never really satisfied my needs. My iphone is now getting a bit long in the tooth and as I was shopping on line last night on it from the comfort of my heavily fortified bed complete with a warm wife and two dogs, I was struck by something. No, not by one of cohabitants of my king sized dream machine. I was struck by the audacity of Apple to ignore a mainstay of the internet world, Flash.
I want to go on record to the two or three people who may stumble on this missive, that I think it really stinks. Steve Jobs has done well reviving Apple by pushing industry standardization and especially the creation of the world of the ipod and iphone. Unfortunately, his quirky belligerence, when it comes to Adobe is pathetic. Yeah they have a competing product, Premier Pro and yeah it's probably going to erode Apples market share further with Adobe's next release unless they step up plans to revitalize Final Cut. Don't hold your breath. Apple as far as Final Cut is concerned appears stagnant at this moment.
That being said, I am seriously considering leaving the warmth and safety of my present iphone simply because I can't view the wonderfully optimized and animated world of flash websites.
I think the ipad would be a great way to sit in bed and plug in. Would I buy one with out FLASH capability? Nope. I can use my netbook and get the whole enchilada. I am certain as long as Steve Jobs (formerly one of my personal tech heroes) is at the helm we will not see flash on the iphone/ipod/ipad platform. I wish no ill fortune on Steve he's been through a lot. Perhaps too much. It could be time for him to take a permanent break from the secrecy, intrigue and compulsive dislikes and enjoy his golden years in peace.
I want Flash now. Not the promise of HTML 5 later.

No comments:

Post a Comment